Gold cuff Kate Spade via Nordstrom
Often times we get so wrapped up with keeping up with all the hustle and bustle of life that we forget to make time to do the things we really, really love. Things that keep us inspired and our souls fat and happy.
Coming from a regular 8-5 job (with way longer hours in reality) with a set daily schedule and routine everyday, to starting your own business and working from home, your whole world, priorities, routine and schedule completely changes. And I am still trying to find that balance. I found that in the past years, with having that regular go to work routine it was so much easier to find time to do fun things. There was always a separation between work and home hours. You work at your work place and you leave work there when you are home. When you are at home you do personal and family stuff at night and you get your weekends. With owning your own business you lose that separation and it just doesn't turn off especially when your business is all online and social media based... or I guess it really takes a LOT of effort to be able to turn it off and take time for yourself and to keep up with personal stuff. But we all know how important it is to take that time off for ourselves, for our well being and of course in nourishing our relationships with our loved ones. You can't be inspired when you are burnt out.
So I actually wanted to share some small tips I've learned that has worked for me along the way and I should remember to do more often. Hope some of them work for you too!
1. STEP AWAY. If you work from home, try to regularly step away from all the work and chores laid out in front of you to do. If you are like me, I find it hard to relax mid day at home when I see all the work and chores I have to do, I just constantly think about them so I find it best when I step away and go somewhere close to get a little break. I like to go to a nice, cozy little coffee shop and bring a book or a magazine and enjoy my favorite drink. I actually LOVE rustic, cozy little coffee shops! I also like going to Barnes and Noble to browse new books and find interesting reads. Or go to the nearest park and get some fresh air and some sun and bring a book or anything personal you love to do like little hobbies you have. Spend at least 30 minutes to an hour or more if you have that time.
2. INCLUDE FUN THINGS WHEN YOU DO YOUR WEEKLY SCHEDULE. When setting up your weekly schedule, make sure to include fun things to do and your "alone" time in. Also make it a point to schedule in meeting up with a friend or friends to catch up and socialize. Make sure to do it and stick with your schedule. If you are like me, if I don't have it scheduled in my calendar, it will never happen. I'll probably just continue working all through the day.... and night. :P
3. GET AN EARLY START. I never thought I'd ever say this but it's really good to get an early start. I was never a morning person but now that I work from home I try to wake up and get up when Mark does which is pretty darn early. He also even changed his schedule now to even an earlier time so then he can be home earlier and be able to spend more time with Baby C when he comes. Having an early start in my day I am able to actually sit and enjoy my breakfast and read or it just gives me that extra time to do things that I normally would not have time to do during the day. And to start your day not rushed makes such a huge difference.
4. DAILY GRATITUDE. Every morning think about something that you are thankful for and grateful for in your life. From the biggest to the smallest little thing. This helps you start your day positively. And if you do this everyday, you just become more positive and see more the good things you have in life rather than focusing on the negative.
5. ALWAYS TRY NEW THINGS. From as little as trying a new appetizer from a local restaurant all the way to traveling and seeing the world, always be open to try new things. There are so much out there to learn and to experience and you won't know they even exist if you don't try or be open to them. This is definitely one of the best ways to stay inspired, it always makes me look forward to even the littlest things that we do.
Well hope you guys liked this post. Sorry, it's a long one compared to my usual but something this weekend might have triggered me to write about it :) Please let me know if you guys have more effective tips!! I would love to know!
Hope you guys all have a wonderful week!!